|Go to End of Tour||
Please note that the numbers on the map correlate to the order of the Virtual Tour links.
|Start Virtual Tour|
|Home of the Virtual Tour- A Short History of Somers Point|
| Somers Point was originally settled by John Somers, an Englishman and practicing Quaker, who bought the land from Thomas Budd. Early names for the area were Somerset Plantation, Somers Ferry, and Somers Plantation, named after the first settlers in 1693. The land purchased originally covered all of Somers Point, part of Linwood, and went into Egg Harbor Township and Ocean City. In the early years it was part of Gloucester County, because Atlantic County had not yet been named.
The name Somers Point was adopted in 1750. It was a seafaring town and sloops, schooners, and barges were built in the many shipyards located along the Greate Egg Harbor Bay, Greate Egg Harbor River, and Patcong Creek. The Sooy Boatworks was located on Shore Road to Delaware Avenue, and boats were rolled down Delaware Avenue to the bay. Shipbuilding and life along the waterways was a very important part of life in early Somers Point.
Virtual Tour website created by Eric Seckinger funded by a Somers Point Historical Society educational grant.